Tuesday, February 14, 2006

This post is dedicated to my friend Kristina, who I failed to give a D.C. shout out in yesterday's Oprah ramblings.



Commercial radio is really cheesy, but I still like it. They do stupid shit like play songs with "love" in the title around Valentine's Day. And you can count on at least one rock station in every town to play Loverboy's "Working for the Weekend" once a Friday.

Last night, the big alt-rock station out of Seattle snuck in Smashing Pumpkin's "Love" right after their 9 o'clock countdown. It was awesome because: a. It is not an official single b. I've never, ever heard it on the radio c. It felt like a singular act of bravery and independent thinking, which is in short supply at many rock stations.

Tonight, a different rock station was playing hair-metal ballads and such. I heard "Don't Know What You Got" by Cinderella or Skid Row or whoever. The whiskey-voiced female DJ then took a call from a jilted 80s metal chick who requested she play some "love gone bad" rockers, too. Queensryche "I Don't Believe in Love" ensued. I don't think I've ever heard Queensryche on the radio, but this is Seattle, hometown of that high brow, low-interest metal band.

On a non-Valentine's Day note: Sunday afternoon I heard a Whitesnake song followed by a solo Robert Plant tune, which I can't remember the name of, but was interesting and surprisingly good. I thought it was funny because David Coverdale is the poor man's version of Robert Plant. (Coverdale Page, anyone?) I hope the DJ was thinking the same.

Right now: eating Valentines-themed M&Ms
Today: 60-minute power walk
Tomorrow: 60 minute run

3 Comments:

At 1:37 AM, Blogger Kristina said...

omg!! I am the happiest girl EVER! I will never wash this laptop screen again.

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Brianna said...

wowza!!! best picture EVER.

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Brianna said...

wowza!!! best picture EVER.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home