Monday, April 17, 2006

The concept of "totally owning" something. Plus, anybody watching Big Love on HBO?


With about six miles left in Saturday's 20.6-mile barnburner, I explained to my running buddy the concept of "totally owning" something. I picked it up at one of my many previous jobs. The boss would try to rally the troops by telling them they "totally owned" something. I always thought it was a really funny phrase, so I've worked it into my training, as in "I'm totally owning this run right now." Okay, maybe you had to be there.
In other news, I'm still watching Big Love in HBO every Sunday night, but I'm still on the fence about the show. It's not *that* good, but it's certainly not bad. Last night's episode took an interesting turn as Bill blackmails Harry Dean Stanton's creepy-ass character. Also, the oldest son, who's 16 or 17, is falling for his dad's third wife.
If you haven't seen the show, it's about a non-Mormon plural family in Utah -- polygamists for the non-PC crowd. It's a husband, three wives and, I think, six kids, who range in age from 1 to 17-years-old. They live in three adjoining suburban houses, and the husband is a successful home-improvement store owner. The show revolves around the family, the outside world -- who they try to keep in the dark about their unusual family situation -- and each of the adults' deeply religious polygamist families. This religious clan lives someone outside the city, and it's never stated, but it's implied that they're Mormon.
The show seems a little too cutesy sometimes, and focuses a too much on the topic of how three women and one man split their bedroom time. But the last few episodes have shifted into how the arrangement can lead to loneliness, jealousy, etc.
The best part of the show, hands down, is the intro, which features the Beach Boys' "God Only Knows." Such a great song. (My theory is the show is named after the Pixies' "Gigantic" -- "Our big, big love/Our big, big love")
Anywho, I'll keep watching because what else am I to do with my life?

Today: 45-minute walk
Tomorrow: ?

5 Comments:

At 2:46 PM, Blogger Kristina said...

"Big Love" makes me think of the Patty Griffin song, "One Big Love." Which now will be stuck in my head for hours, thanks. As for the show -- I give it a solid "meh." I watched two or three eps and think it's just all right -- and you know my TV standards aren't all that high -- but I'd much rather spend my time on Sopranos and, down the dial a bit, HUFF and Weeds on Showtime.

But, dude, you are totally owning this blogging thing.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Brianna said...

they *wish* they were as cool as Kim Deal. They can only dream.

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger Brianna said...

um, also dig you shamlessly putting the pic of Courtney and Billy up... w t f ? funny.

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger paul said...

Kristina: I wish I had Showtime so I could watch Weeds. My sources tell me I would love it.
Kate: I only use "totes" when IMing.
Brianna: Indeed, Kim Deal is deeply cool.
Brianna: Doesn't Courtney's face look weird in that photo? Also, is Billy thinking, "The new SP record is going to do Paul the small favor of redefining the universe"?
Poor man: Caribou is a wonderful song. However, Digging for Fire is the great unsung Pixies tune.

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger Kristina said...

I'm thinking you have a friend with Sho *and* a DVD burner who could hook you up, especially if there's a summer cherry shipment in the deal.

Just say the word and I'll start burning season 1 ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home